The St. Michael’s College School Centre for the Arts is 50 years in the making. In 1950, when the Bathurst and St. Clair location was built, a theatre/auditorium was to be erected on the old Basilian Father residence was located. When Fr. Fitzpatrick was Principal of St. Michael’s in the 1980’s, the theatre was revisited with a possible location being the old St. Clare House. During the 1990’s the building of the Theatre was again revisited but was ultimately put on hold until the funding could be put in place to build the Centre for the Arts in its current design.
The Centre for the Arts is a great addition to the St. Clair-Bathurst community. Located at the north-west corner of the School, it is among Toronto’s finest theatrical venues. The generosity of the School’s supporters led to the development of a theatre with a 440 seating capacity, intimate interior design, finely tuned acoustics and a fly system. The Centre provides an excellent setting for artistic plays, musical performances, presentations and other large or small productions.
CS&P Archticts acted as the Architects for the Centre for the Arts. They worked in conjunction with Peter Smith, architect of other Toronto theatres such as the Princess of Wales Theatre and the Isabel Bader Theatre, located at Victoria University (University of Toronto).
Intellectus Project Management, lead by Shelley Desjardins and Lawrence Kavanah, successfully managed the project. As well, they worked closely with the school's administration to develop the initial concepts for the Centre for the Arts, were responsible for the interior design, the acquisition of the beautiful finishes and the acquisition of the theatre seating and the stage and audio visual equipment.
Since its founding in 1852, St. Michael’s College School has continued to grow and develop, building on its traditions and strong foundations of a storied and distinguished history. St. Michael’s was founded by the Congregation of St. Basil (Basilian Fathers) to meet the vital, growing need for the Catholic education of boys in Toronto. Over the course of its history, St. Michael’s and the Basilian Fathers have continued to fulfill this mission as the school has grown from a minor seminary to a high school offering a program of studies that prepares a young man for university and for service to his community.