In 1984 Fr. William O’Brien, C.S.B. began searching for documents and records relevant to the history of St. Michael’s College School at the request of the principal, Fr. Norm Fitzpatrick, C.S.B. This led to the establishment of the SMCS Archives. During the summer of 2008 the archives was moved to the second floor of the arena. This provided us with the opportunity to build a museum to celebrate the school community’s achievements from 1852 up to today.
The archives and the museum collect and preserve historical materials about the school according to the best contemporary standards. The goal is to make these accessible to the St. Michael’s community and to researchers. The archives performs the vital function of maintaining the records of the school including all yearbooks, photos, and other media such as artifacts. The museum displays items from the archives and together they reinforce the rich St. Michael’s Catholic tradition for present and future generations. They also support alumni celebrating their past and the present.
Our holdings include the complete run of yearbooks starting with the first published in 1910, most school newspapers dating back to 1944, early school mark register books from 1875 to 1919, videos and thousands of images of teams, clubs and school activities. We also have artifacts like a football helmet from the 1920s, a megaphone from the 1950s and autographed pucks. We are continually seeking school memorabilia to add to our collection.