Teacher – Core (Grades 7 and 8)
St. Michael's College School was founded in 1852 by the Basilian Fathers, and stands as Ontario's only independent Catholic high school for young men. The school offers students in Grades 7-12 an enriched, Catholic, Liberal Arts education complemented by a number of diverse co-curricular programmes. As a community within the Catholic Church, St. Michael's strives for excellence through a synthesis of culture and faith.
The motto of the Basilian Fathers and St. Michael's College School is "Teach me Goodness, Discipline, and Knowledge" (Psalm 118). This recognizes that being a good and disciplined individual, in charge of your own actions, is as important as the knowledge acquired through formal education. The motto is reflected in its mission to educate the whole person.
While St. Michael's strives to prepare its students for university, it is also fully committed to preparing them to be future Catholic leaders in the world.
Whatever the role at St. Michael's, it is more than a job – it is joining a community of likeminded colleagues who embrace the school's values, and deliver those values in everything that they do.
St. Michael's College School is looking for a teacher to join our community and teach our Core 7 and 8 students. Although this position requires an Intermediate qualification, Senior qualifications are assets. Reporting to the Principal and working closely with other colleagues, a St. Michael's College School Teacher supports students' spiritual, academic, emotional, and social growth.
Rate of Pay As per the SMCSTA Collective Agreement
Qualifications, Abilities, and Experience:
Member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers
Must have one or more of the following Ontario Ministry of Education Qualifications:
oIntermediate Division, Science
oIntermediate Division, Mathematics
oIntermediate Division, English
- Senior qualifications in the above subjects or in other subjects are assets.
- Honours Specialist in one or more of the above qualifications is deemed an asset
- Willingness to uphold the Catholic faith and its teachings and values, and can provide a letter from your parish priest confirming that you are a practicing Catholic
- Working knowledge of the Ontario curriculum, specifically with Growing Success
Ability to foster a caring and professional rapport with students
Ability to work with SMCS faculty and staff, parents, and guardians
Religious Education, Part 1 is an asset
Training and experience with inquiry-based and problem-based learning (Deep Learning) is an asset
Experience with the following co-curricular activities are deemed assets:
oExperience coaching at the secondary school level
oExperience directing, producing, or assisting with theatre productions
Performance Competencies and Criteria:
- Maintain a professional image
- Effective organizational skills to ensure all tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner
- Responsive and considerate to student, parent/guardian, and school needs
- Ethical consideration and a consistent display of integrity in all duties
- An understanding and commitment to the delivery of a Basilian, Catholic, liberal arts education, to boys in Grades 7-12.
How to apply
Please forward a cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com. Please indicate 'Core Teacher' in the subject line.
Deadline for this application process is May 25, 2018.
We thank all candidates in advance. However, we will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls or agencies, please.
SMCS will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
The Leader in Catholic Boys' Education