The St. Michael’s College School (SMCS) gymnasium will be a hub of activity on Tuesday, March 3 as the SMCS Chess Club hosts the Toronto Secondary School Chess League (TSSCL) Team Championship for the fourth consecutive year.
“St. Michael's College School is very proud to once again host the TSSCL Team Championship,” says Dr. Robert Fantilli ’94, the club’s moderator and math teacher at SMCS. “The Blue Knights are grateful for the gracious and generous support of the Basilian Fathers and our Parents’ Association for making this event possible.”
“We are truly blessed to see so many young boys and girls come together to compete and engage in a game they are passionate about," says Fantilli.
The Blue Knights will have teams competing in both the junior and senior divisions.
Here are some fast facts about the upcoming tournament:
- SMCS will host 24 teams with over 100 students from across the GTA
- The tournament is open to students in Grades 5 to 12
- Winners will receive medals and support for entry fees to the Ontario High School Chess Championship
- The TSSCL Team Championship has been running for almost 40 years
- Over 48 matches will be played and clocks will be set to 40 minutes to encourage faster play
Click here to learn more about the history and growth of the SMCS Chess Club.