While many plans, events, and daily routines have been turned upside-down as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the St. Michael’s College School (SMCS) community is continuing to stand strong and come up with creative new ways to bring everyone together—virtually.
With the help of livestreaming technology, SMCS has ‘gathered’ for Mass, ParenTalks, alumni meetings, and even held a virtual athletic banquet! This month, the SMCS Music Department is excited to announce the newest initiative: CLUB BLUENOTE Livestream 2020 on Tuesday, June 9. The evening will be an artistic collaboration between SMCS and sister school, Holy Name of Mary College School (HNMCS).
“It will be an evening that will showcase the diversity of our two school communities coming together through individual or group performances created in our living rooms, driveways, backyards, and neighbourhoods,” says Jamie Oatt, Head of the Music Department and teacher at SMCS.
CLUB BLUENOTE, an annual live musical showcase, typically highlights a range of performances featuring the genres of Jazz, R&B, Broadway, to spoken word, all performed by SMCS students, staff, and faculty.
Due to the pandemic, this year’s CLUB BLUENOTE will be exclusively virtual, featuring pre-recorded videos, performances, and so much more.
“A unique medium as we are able to use video production instead of being limited to the live space and surroundings of our cafeteria, which is annually transformed into CLUB BLUENOTE or HNMCS’ spring cafe,” says Oatt. “We will miss being able to gather as a community as audience and performers, so this is the next best thing!”
There is plenty to be excited about. Here are five fast facts about this year’s event:
- First year that CLUB BLUENOTE is getting livestreamed
- The new format provides the capability to feature not just musical acts but also short TikTok-style videos, time-lapse of student artwork set to music, stand-up comedy acts, and more
- SMCS is collaborating with HNMCS and featuring some of their talented students and faculty
- The two MCs for the evening will be future student government presidents, Jeremi Kolakowski and Clara Dmytryshyn
- SMCS and HNMCS faculty will be performing two numbers created remotely and completely digitally. The video mix will be created by recent graduate, Liam Abbott ’19 returning from Chapman University’s Dodge School of Film and Media in Los Angeles
“The organizing committee was blown away by some of the performances you will see on June 9,” adds Oatt. “We have some undiscovered talent within the walls of both schools!”
CLUB BLUENOTE Livestream 2020 is being held on Tuesday, June 9 at 7 p.m.